Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Hurricane Season

 

I know I rant about this every year, but give me a break.  I need to get it out of my system.

The Atlantic hurricane season begins today, and the hurricane prediction people are out with their annual forecast.  Long story short:  14 to 21 tropical storms, 6 to 10 hurricanes, and 3 to 6 of those will be major.

I know the forecasters take a variety of factors in to account, but the prediction is, at best, a 50-50 proposition.  I know information is power, but this borders on needlessly frightening people.

The bottom line is if you love in a coastal area, constantly be prepared.  If you live inland, and are near a body of water that floods, keep an eye on the conditions.

Forecasting has improved to the point where we see these big storms coming earlier than ever before, and we have a great idea of where they will go.

The numbers don't mean much until you see a tropical storm or hurricane coming your way.