Tuesday, July 12, 2022

By Any Other Name

 

I've always despised that whole stadium/arena naming stuff.  On the other hand, I do understand economic realities.

That brings us to the Pittsburgh situation.

Heinz is not renewing the deal to put its name on the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers.  The new organization to pony up the cash is Acrisure.  It's a financial services company based in Michigan.

I do realize what organizations get out of stadium and arena naming rights-- the name gets plenty of exposure to people who go to the games, and those who watch on television.

It comes down to this.  I never bought Heinz ketchup because its name was on a stadium.  My choice of a bank was never influenced by naming rights.  Ring Central is on the old Oakland Coliseum.   That is a product marketed to businesses.

No doubt that a business that buys naming rights thinks its a good deal.  I'm skeptical.