Friday, July 8, 2022

Follow Up Friday

 


Let's go back to late last year.  I whined at how a local hardware store chain repeatedly advertised a color changing red, green and white Christmas light bulb.  Yet, when you visited the store, and I stopped by more than one, they were never in stock.  What made it even worse, the staff didn't give a rat's behind.  They were unapologetic and unprofessional.  As you might remember, I eventually found a few and the story had a happy ending.  At the time, I also purchased a color changing red, white and blue light bulb.  I stashed it away, and I actually remembered where I put it.  I had one of the most festive front porches in the area.  I wish more people bought the bulbs rather than fireworks.

That brings us to our second item.  The state is trying to fix its bad fireworks law.  Every mayor, police chief, and fire chief in the state thinks the fireworks need to go.  The amended law gives local municipalities more control.  The amended law and the current one are laughable.  Enforcement is non existent.  The situation is out of control.  Follow the money.  Fireworks bring in tax revenue.  So what if someone's house burns down?

I mentioned last week that Back to School sales start right after Independence Day.  During a visit to a big box store Wednesday morning, the staff was filling the shelves with pens, notebooks and backpacks.  That sight used to make me sick to my stomach as a kid.  But then again, in my day, the sales didn't start until mid August.

Our friends at the Allentown Morning Call reported the last Long John Silver's in the Lehigh Valley closed.  Holy cow!  That chain was everywhere at one time, and we are down to only a few stores here in our area.  I admit to liking it, but it's a treat for only a few times a year.  Delicious, but on the heavy and oily side.

And one last food issue, before I hit "publish" for the day.  Wendy's decided to try breakfast again, and then the pandemic hit.  There is a Wendy's across the street from the Golden Arches on a highway near my home.  McDonald's would have a line of cars around the building while Wendy's was a ghost town.  I couldn't figure it out.  I thought the Wendy's food, albeit heavy and salty, was quite a bit better.  During a recent errand mission, I noticed Wendy's was generating a lot of traffic.  Maybe, it just took people a while to notice the new breakfast menu.