Thursday, July 21, 2022

Small World

 

Small world as they say.

I listen to Tony Kornheiser's podcast, when he does one, about three times a week.  He attended summer camp in Wayne County as a kid.  From the e-mails Mr. Tony receives, a lot of people, many famous, did the same thing, and also in Wayne County.  It appears to be the summer camp capital of the world.

Me?  No.  Never.  Zero desire.  I was happy riding my bike around the neighborhood when I was kid.  Back yard wiffle ball games.  Walking to the corner store for a can of soda and a bag of potato chips.  Watching Match Game.

A close friend had a yearly camp experience.  The neighborhood wasn't the same while he was away.  By the way, he hated it.

Rush Limbaugh used to tell a story about his one and only camp experience.  I don't know where it was.  There was one unforgettable line in Limbaugh's story:  "All I could think about was how much I didn't want to be there."

I'm sure camp is a wonderful thing, but it's not for everyone, and Kornheiser has some very nice things to say about his summers in Wayne County.