Tuesday, August 30, 2022

25 Years

 

I'm not big on British history, and the peculiarities of the Royal Family leave me cold.  I wouldn't call the traffic crash that claimed the life of Princess Diana a "where were you when..." moment, but I do remember the morning, 25 years ago, quite vividly.

I  was producing the weekday morning newscast "across the street."  It was a weekend, and I was home, doing a little reading, listening to the radio, and occasionally turning on the television.  Even back then, I had the habit of staying up all night, even if I didn't have to.

News of the crash came on the radio.  It was compelling stuff.  First the crash, then reports Diana was seriously injured, then the bulletin on her passing.  It was all so sad.

When television finally caught up, Kevin Newman was anchoring for ABC News.  Newman is a Canadian.  He knows his British history, plus the ins and outs of the Royal Family.  It showed.  Newman was outstanding.  He left competitors in the dust.  It was one of the factors in Newman being appointed "Good Morning America" co-anchor over Tom Bergeron, who was being groomed to follow Charlie Gibson.

It was all so tragic, so preventable.  Diana and her companion were being chased by the paparazzi, like animals.  How many photos are enough?  Yes, Diana was one of the most recognizable women on the planet.  Her activities made news.  She was also entitled to some privacy.  I think the world would have been okay if Diana and her companion were allowed to disappear in to the night.