Monday, August 15, 2022

Broadcast Monday

 

Uma Pemmaraju died last week.  Only 64.  She was one of the FOX News Channel originals, and she often did the updates on FOX News Sunday back in the early Tony Snow days.  I always enjoyed her work.  Pemmaraju didn't get in the way of the news.

Speaking of FOX News Sunday, the network decided chief legal correspondent Shannon Bream will be the permanent replacement for Chris Wallace.  Good choice.  Bream is solid without the "it's all about me" attitude that has hurt the business.  The ratings went up when she filled in, so obviously, the audience realizes something is there.

Jon Batiste stepped aside as band leader for the CBS "Late Show."  The man has been showered with awards.  I recognize the talent, even though his style of music is not my thing.  It appeared the "Late Show" producers tried to mold Batiste in to the sidekick role, in addition to band leader.  It wasn't working.

A couple of old radio chums and I were messaging and emailing about the days when radio stations actually had live DJ's on the overnight shift.  I can write a book on that, and that is another blog entry, for another time.

FOX used a hologram of the late Harry Caray at last week's Field of Dreams game.  Harry sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."  While many enjoyed it, I thought it was just plain creepy.  Even though I didn't get a chance to see it live, I do love the baseball corn field concept.  The same goes for the major league game in Williamsport.  MLB really needs to do different things to attract new fans.  I'm sorry construction will keep the cornfield game from happening next season.

I expected very little from the new "Password."  I wasn't disappointed.

You know fall is coming when all the top shelf sports talk radio hosts are taking time off before the busy NFL and baseball playoff season begins.