Wednesday, August 24, 2022

On the Radio

 

Let me get you up to speed.  I'm enjoying my time at WNEP and the company treats me well, but I've long established that radio is my first love.

I started in college radio in 1979.  I got a job at WARM when I was a sophomore and I stayed for nearly 11 years.  There were a couple of freelance radio projects after I had moved in to TV full time.

Doc, the Froggy 101 morning man, is an old friend.  We did a show together about four years ago, and it was always one of those "we'll have to do it again" situations.  Friday morning was the "again."  We were so busy catching up and general yammering that I neglected to take a photo.  Sorry, Doc.  I did the 8 to 9 am hour, and as always, I love being in a radio studio.  When you are on with Doc, it's not an interview, it's a conversation.  If all the broadcasting gear wasn't around us, you'd never know you were on the radio, and that's a compliment.

Nikki Walton Stone was filling on traffic when I was there.  She now does 9 am to noon on WILK.  We did a three hour morning show together on Christmas Eve of 2020, and once again, I had the time of my life.  As I was wrapping up with Doc, Nikki was getting ready to do her show, and asked if I'd sit in for an hour.  She didn't have to ask twice.

Our pre show discussion lasted for about 30 seconds.  I asked Nikki what she wanted to cover.  She replied "the news."  Okay.  Done.  Nikki and I are both news hounds.  A lot of prep wasn't necessary.  We did the 9 to 10 am hour and it seemed like it was just five minutes.  Nikki knows I can't get opinionated on controversial topics, so she handled that end of the discussion.  The callers and texters added a lot, and I walked out of the studio in a great mood.  Award winning radio?  No, not really, but I enjoyed it, and I hope the listeners did too.

Doc and Nikki, thank you for the opportunity and I hope to see you again soon.