Friday, August 19, 2022

Thank You, Captain

 

It's funny what can stick with you after fifty years and what can still irritate the socks off you.

I was watching Curacao play in the Little League World Series in South Williamsport Wednesday afternoon.  The word "Curacao" immediately, always, and forever takes me back to sixth grade.  I was stuck in a fire trap of a school (later condemned by the state) with a teacher stuck in the 1940's.  Every day was worse than the one before,  and it was without a doubt the unhappiest year of my education.  It's a tough contest because there were a lot of bad years in there.

Anyway, we were doing a sixth grade geography thing way back when, and my teacher didn't know how to pronounce Curacao.  I did.  It was because of a travelogue piece I saw on "Captain Kangaroo."  I do need to lighten up.  No teacher knows everything, but I thought knowing how to pronounce Curacao wasn't all that difficult.  He should have watched the Captain, like I did.

Plus, Captain Kangaroo was huge on manners and politeness, especially "please" and "thank you."  How we need him back!

The Captain, sadly, is long gone, but it did inspire a question.  Other than PBS, is there any quality children's TV programming that you DON'T have to pay for?

Captain Kangaroo, I was lucky you were there, and thank you.