Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The D List

 

A few weeks ago, during one of our weekend morning broadcasts, I joked with meteorologist Valerie Smock that because I work all night and sleep all day, I haven't had a tan since 1982.  

That is not far from the truth.

During a routine medical check up several years ago, my blood work showed I had no vitamin D in my body.  That's the sunshine vitamin and apparently, I wasn't seeing enough daylight.  My doctor put me on prescription supplements that were the size of a horse's rump.  I took them for a while, failed to feel any different, and gave up.

An internet search at the time showed diagnosing vitamin D deficiencies was the in vogue thing to do.  My doctor explained that most people north of the equator were deficient.  I was very fond of my doctor, now deceased,  so I took the supplements for a while.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago.  I was listening to a Philadelphia all news radio station in my kitchen.  They did a news report on a new study that shows vitamin D supplements do nothing for bone health, and the supplements do not lessen the chance of a fracture.

So there!

I don't feel so bad about avoiding the sun.