Monday, September 12, 2022

50

 

I know I should have published this entry earlier, but there were more pressing items to discuss...

September 4 was the 50th anniversary of CBS putting three new game shows on its schedule.  Sitcom reruns were out.  The games were back.

Yes, I do remember watching that day.  My impressions then were just about the same as they are now.

"The Jokers' Wild" was first.  Good game and the giant slot machine was a great visual.  However, even though I was too young to know about Jack Barry's involvement in the 50's game show fixing scandal, I thought he was a bit creepy.  "The Jokers' Wild" had the key elements of a good game show-- a game that was simple to understand, and easy to play along at home.

"The New Price is Right" was next.  I was too young to remember the original.  I was familiar with Bob Barker's work via "Truth or Consequences."  This was my favorite of the three.  It was never the same show twice, thanks to all the different pricing games.  Barker effortlessly guided contestants through the half hour.  It was simply a fun time-- good games, visually interesting, and once again, a game you could play along at home.

"Gambit" was the final new offering, and my least favorite of the three.  Host Wink Martindale was a little too slick.  Even though this was another easy "play at home" game, and everybody loves blackjack, I didn't like the pacing.  The games took too long, and the matches were two out of three.  There had to be some way to speed along the play.

NBC and ABC had had game shows on the air long before CBS returned to the fray, and honestly, the other two had better stuff than CBS.  ABC had "Password" and "Split Second."  Concentration" plus "Hollywood Squares" and "Jeopardy!" were on NBC.  I can't forget the "Who, What or Where Game" and "Three on a Match."

It's sad when you think about it.  The games are gone from network TV, except for "The Price is Right" and "Let's Make a Deal."

It was fun while it lasted.

It's also the 50th anniversary of the "MASH" debut.  It died its first season, with a weak Sunday night lead-in.  The series didn't take off until CBS moved it to after "All in the Family" on Saturdays.

Outrageously funny, a little bawdy, occasionally touching.  It was one of those rare series that can induce laughter and tears in the same episode.

I loved the first four or five years.  After that, "MASH" became slightly dumb, silly (not in a good way) and a tad preachy.  It should have been off five years before that unforgettable final episode.