Monday, September 5, 2022

Labor Day

 

I hated Labor Day as a kid.  It meant the end of summer vacation and the start of the new school year.

The "warm up to Labor Day" process started in high school.  I actually looked forward to the start of the new school year because it meant it was one step closer to the end of that soul crushing process.

While college wasn't soul crushing, it was nice when Labor Day rolled around.  The fall semester always started during the prior week, and it was nice to see old friends return from their summer breaks.  Once again, the start of a new semester meant it was one step closer to that diploma.

I worked in downtown Scranton for many years, and working on Labor Day never bothered me.  The main reason-- La Festa Italiana was literally right outside the back door of the office.  Pizza followed by canoli.

Working at WNEP was a little different.  I always volunteered to help staff the newsroom while the rest of the gang was at the Jerry Lewis telethon.  The overnight shift was my specialty.  The morning news was preempted by the telethon.  I used all those overnight hours to write scripts for a project I was involved with at the time.  The night, late Sunday until Monday morning, flew by.

I still work Labor Day, even though duties have shifted a bit over the years.  Plus, as soon as I hang up my microphone for the day, a vacation begins.  We'll climb that mountain when we get there.

As I say on every holiday, please be safe, and please remember what the day is all about.