Thursday, September 29, 2022

Roundabout

 

If roundabouts are such a good idea, why does Penndot continue to apply the full court press?

Our Penndot friends recently put out a news release.  It contained a barrage of statistics showing roundabouts are safer than the intersections they replaced-- fewer crashes, fewer injuries, fewer fatalities.

That's all well and good.

But, why do drivers still hate roundabouts?

I traveled through a couple last week-- the ones near Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport in Avoca.  It was my standard procedure-- crawl through the roundabout at the slowest speed possible.  Keep an eye out for other cars and trucks.  Breathe a sigh of relief when I hit a straight piece of pavement again.

Numbers and statistics can be manipulated many different ways, but I have faith that the Penndot numbers are what they appear to be.  I hope.

However, I'd be happy with more straight lines and well timed traffic signals.

I still have to wonder, if roundabouts are so wonderful, why do you keep trying to convince drivers?