Wednesday, October 12, 2022

13 Years of Being Wrong

 

An anniversary recently passed.  Robin Roberts and George Stephanopoulos just marked 13 years together on ABC's "Good Morning America."   That makes them the longest serving "team" in the history of network morning television.  There have been individual anchors who have served longer.  Robin and George have the team record.

I have to admit, I blew this one.  I thought Stephanopoulos was a bad fit for morning television  Too serious, too stiff, and lacking warmth.  It turns out, he is just what that program needs.  Stephanopoulos provides gravitas, seriousness and balance.  He keeps the show grounded.

The timing was perfect.  ABC put Robin and George together just as NBC was having major chemistry problems with its morning show.  CBS is, well, CBS.  It seems to change people, formula, format and focus every six months.

This is one case where I was wrong and I'm proud to admit it.