Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Home to Roost

 

I remember when CNN first appeared on my cable system.  It was several months after its June 1980 debut.  Regardless.  It was like crack for a news junkie.  News in the morning.  News in the middle of the day.  Prime news!  CNN used to produce some outstanding sportscasts.  I loved it.  I couldn't take my eyes off it.

The years passed, and I think we took CNN for granted.  We went there when something major happened.  Otherwise, it was background noise.  FOX hit the scene with some solid newscasts, but also some opinion based programming.  That programming struck a chord with a big section of the American population.   CNN's ratings suffered.  Forgetting that the view is better from the high road, CNN embarked on its own brand of opinion based programming.  The ratings suffered.  CNN clearly was delivering a product people didn't want.

The chickens have some home to roost.

CNN last week axed a bunch of people and there are more to come.  It's sister network, HLN, has been gutted and it will have no live programming.

As an aside, I loved HLN when it was known as Headline News, and it delivered 48 half hour newscasts a day.  It was a great way for a quick news fix and an easy avenue to get up to date, and fast!

HLN's Robin Meade and her "Morning Express" is among the casualties.  Meade and that show were only the most watchable person and show on either network.  I hope some other organization realizes her value and talent, and snatches her up quickly.

New CNN management is apparently trying to drag the network back to the middle, and that's a good thing.  I'm sorry some good people are paying the price for the bad management of the past.