Monday, May 15, 2023

40

 

It happened 40 years ago today.  I received my diploma from Marywood College, now Marywood University.

What do I remember about that day?  Morning drizzle moved the commencement from the commons on campus to the performing arts theater.    I really wanted no part of the whole thing, but may parents were proud of me, so I did it for them.

After it was over, I said good bye to some friends, posed for a few photos, and that was just about it.  I really have to dig those photos out one day.  I believe I know where they are.

As I walked back to my car, I decided to stop by the college radio station one last time.  Some of my happiest Marywood moments were within the walls of WVMW.  Al Piela was on the air.  He would be graduating in May of 1984.  Great guy, now a real estate tycoon in Ocean City, Maryland, after many years in broadcasting.  Al sends me a calendar every year.

Any, we chatted a bit.  I looked around one last time.  I thought about all the adventures in the basement of what was then called the Learning Resources Center.  I wasn't the best DJ in the world.  Far from it.  Very far from it.  I was there to learn my craft, which I did.  I hope I entertained a few people along the way.  There was great satisfaction is a new album coming in, finding a good track and then playing it before anyone else did.  It didn't happen often but there were a few times when I listened to the rest of the radio world catch up.

As it was time to leave, I told Al, "Well I have to go now."  Al then proceeded to sing "Go Now" by the Moody Blues as I exited.  An unforgettable moment.  Key line:  "Before you see my cry."  I still listen to it at this time, every year.

As for the rest of the day, I went home, took a nap, and I did my usual WARM 590 shift at midnight.  Yes, friends.  I didn't even take the day off from work.  No party.  No celebration.  No fun.  I wanted it that way.

I am one of those sorry people who tortures themselves constantly with second guessing.  I regret everything.  Every newscast I do, I finish by thinking I should have done some things differently.  Every action.  Every personal relationship.

I made a lot of mistakes at Marywood, but it was a good place to get an education, and my time there was not wasted.