Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Election Day

 

It's finally here.  A spirited primary season comes to a close.  Election day has arrived.

It's an off year primary, and turnout is traditionally low.  That astounds me.  You are electing mayors, council members, school directors, supervisors, judges, magistrates...  These are the people who control your municipal services, your taxes, justice, your roads, the education of your children...  I never understood why people just don't care about this stuff.

My day will consist of some preview stories.   I put together the bulk of them yesterday.  I tweaked a bit this morning.  Our election manager put together a rather extensive briefing book.  That was a big help, but I also did some of my own research, along with the knowledge gained by working elections for a very long time.

It's likely I'll chase down a candidate or two after the polls open at 7 am.

On the ride in to work today, I was reminiscing and doing a little math.  Many of the people who were coworkers and competitors on election day have moved on to other jobs or retired.  That makes me sad.  I miss them.  As for the math, between primaries,  generals, and special elections, if it's not 80, it's close.

Election morning always consisted of a fast food breakfast.  Sadly, the place where I was able to grab a spicy chicken sandwich and fries at 2 am is no longer a 24 hour operation.  I wasn't hungry today, anyway.  I had a couple of cups of hot tea when I arrived at the office.  That is rare for me.  I'm a cold tea kinda guy.

 I always vote after work, but I'm an Independent and I have to sit this one out.  There will be the traditional Tuesday afternoon nap, so I can stay up tonight and watch the numbers come in.  It is entirely possible that we might now know all the winners tonight.

There was a great opportunity to talk a little politics yesterday, for three hours, on Nikki Walton Stone's WILK radio show.  That was spectacular fun, and I'll write more about that down the road.

I'll pass along an update or two in this space today, along with a little analysis tomorrow.

Please, care.  Please, vote!

>>>8:45 AM UPDATE:  I visited a few polling places in Lackawanna County this morning.  All show an extremely light turnout.  Of course, when all is said and done, you have to factor in the mail in vote.  Overall, this looks like a very down primary.