Wednesday, May 3, 2023

History Repeats

 

The Reading and Northern Railroad, a few months ago, announced that it would run weekend train trips from Pittston to Jim Thorpe, and I understand ticket sales are through the roof.  The excursions start later this month.

That makes me happy, and I hope an entire new generation is learning to appreciate trains.

The beginning and end point is along North Main Street in Pittston.  I stopped by during my recent vacation to take a look around, and it was impressive.

I couldn't get close and the photo above doesn't do it justice.  The boarding platform is still under construction.  Two things jumped out at me.  There is a ton of parking here, and that's important.  You're looking forward to a good time, and the last thing you want is a parking nightmare.  The other item shows some thought and money are going in to the process.  Take a look at the left,  near the dark colored pick up truck.  Period lighting will line the access road and the parking area.  That's a nice touch.

This looks to be a lot of fun.