Friday, May 19, 2023

Media Friday

 

The NFL released its 2023-24 schedule last week.  There are five European games.  I can tolerate them because it's nice to see a little football on a Sunday morning.  On the other hand, I always felt those games hose the home town fans, and I still feel that way.

If that isn't enough, the NFL has scheduled a Black Friday game.  The day after Thanksgiving was always college football turf.  There is also a New Year's Eve game.  It's too much, because holidays should be holidays.  I'm sure the TV ratings will be through the roof, which is really what this is all about.

NBC received permission to move one of its playoff games to the Peacock streaming service, so if you want to watch it, you'll have to pay for it.  The exception is, the game will be on broadcast television in the teams' cities.  I'll pass, and it's just one more way to squeeze money out of the fans.

Why are there so many people on the internet who think I want a PhD in pizza?  I love pizza, and there is no doubt those sites receive more hits than this humble little blog, but enough already!

Speaking of "enough,"  it seems like there is a "Jeopardy!" tournament every week.  It's a great game that has stayed mostly gimmick-free.  I just want to see a good game, with three average people.

Thank you to WILK's Nikki Walton Stone, who had me on her afternoon radio show May 15th.  That will be a blog entry, soon, in and of itself.

Paramount owns MTV.  It recently axed its news department and pink slipped a bunch of people.  I haven't been in MTV's target demographic in decades, and I never watch it.  But, anything that exposes young people to news is good.  MTV really did a nice job with "Rock the Vote" a long time ago.  #sad.