Thursday, June 1, 2023

About the Cover: Welcome Home!


 A story on this, weeks ago, caught my eye, and I've been following it ever since.

This locomotive once traveled Santa Fe track, decades ago.  It came east and was part of the Delaware & Hudson group, used on runs between Scranton and Carbondale.  Yes, it's possible I watched this train used not far from home while I was a wee tot.  It was back out west, even Mexico, before becoming part of a collection in Oregon.


Genesee Valley Transportation, owner of Delaware-Lackawanna, among others found it, bought it, and had it moved back to Scranton.  It was a fascinating journey, ending May 19, when it was pushed in to Scranton.

The locomotive will be displayed at Steamtown for a few weeks.  It's then to the Von Storch shop in Scranton for restoration.  The goal is to use it for local excursions, and I think that's great.

I'm one of those insane people who thinks inanimate objects have thoughts and feelings, so I stopped by the morning of May 24 to introduce myself.  I said hello and welcome home, and added I was the guy who put you on tv the previous weekend.  It's nice to have a new friend.

The former owner in Oregon once worked for Nickel Plate, hence the paint job.  I like it and wouldn't complain if the look stays the same.  It has a modern, yet retro feel.  It reminds me of a Greyhound bus, and that is not a negative.

Nickel Plate was basically an Illinois, Ohio and western New York line.  There isn't a strong connection to northeastern Pennsylvania.  There is speculation it will take on the red, yellow, and grey of Genesee Valley/Delaware-Lackawanna.  I would be okay with that.  There is other speculation it will be repainted with the blue, gold and grey of D&H.  That is my top choice.  After all, this train sported those colors years ago.