Thursday, August 4, 2011

This Bud's for You

Anheuser Busch said yesterday that it's giving its Budweiser cans a new look, and the redesign is on the left.

The company says the new cans are bolder and sleeker, and it's part of making a Budweiser a global brand.

It's also meant to do something else-- reverse a trend in sales.  A down economy and high unemployment have taken their toll on Budweiser.

I had a stock broker I loved back in the 80's.  She's been retired for a while now.  During the recession back then, she suggested I buy stock in Pepsi.  Pepsi also owns snack food company Frito Lay.  My broker said her company's reserach showed that even in tough times, people will still spend a couple bucks on the simple comfort of a bottle of pop and a bag of chips.  She was right.  I recall making a few bucks on Pepsi stock.  It wasn't a fortune.

I suspect people are still buying beer, and the lower priced brands are doing well.  Budweiser, apparently, needs a boost.

Help the economy.  Have a beer.