Monday, January 24, 2011

I Smelled it Coming

By now, you've likely seen the video of the woman tumbling into the fountain, while texting, at the Berkshire Mall near Reading.

We were watching the video at the office the other morning, when I remarked to one of our producers, Lisa, that it was a sure bet the texter was going to lawyer up and sue the mall.  It was far too easy to fall into that fountain.  There should have been a railing.

On the other hand, you really should pay attention to where you're going.  I'm sure the text could have waited.  Find a bench.  Sit down, and then look at your cell phone.

Yahoo reports the fall victim is indeed suing.  I can't say I'm surprised.

It was bad design at the mall.  No one came to help, and the "victim" alleges the security cameras violated her right to privacy.  On the other hand, texting on the move is unwise.  This is her own fault.

The security guard who posted the video has been fired.  He should have been punished because the video was not his to distribute.  Firing?  A bit severe.

Also remember that in a public place, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

I'm sure there will be a settlement long before this reaches court.  John McLaughlin once said a bad settlement is better than a good judgement.

I'd find it difficult to "award" the "victim" any money.

Speaking of "I smelled it coming..."  Keith Olbermann has left MSNBC.  No one is talking, but it looks like NBC paid Olbermann some money to go away.  No one is surprised it happened.  I am surprised it didn't happen sooner.  Olbermann has tons of talent.  Unfortunately, he is his own worst enemy.   Olbermann's nightly "Countdown" broadcast started as an interesting take on the day's news.  It wound up furthering Olbermann's agenda and becoming a hate filled broadcast, complete with childish ridicule and name calling.

While I do not take delight in the misfortunes of others, I shed no tears over Olbermann's MSNBC departure.