Monday, January 3, 2011

Unfinished Business 2011

It's the first business day of the new year.  Things are returning to normal, and the flood gates have opened.  It's time to write about all the things that have happened during the past couple weeks, while I was boring you, in this space, with silly photos.

First, a few of you have commented on my Christmas Day dog photo.  I used a timer and had the camera on a tripod.  She just wouldn't look at the camera.  I gave up after five tries.  Don't get the wrong idea.  She's a very, very good dog.

Governor Rendell felt the decision to postpone the 12/26 Eagles game was a bad one.  I thought we were supposed to stay off the roads during a blizzard.  If that wasn't enough, Rendell's crack about the Chinese was insulting to both the Chinese and Americans.  Rendell really dropped the ball on this one.  He should have known better.

USA Today called 2010 the "year we stopped talking" because ot texting, Twitter, and Facebook.  Then, why do we still call it "social media"?

Those supermarket wine kiosks worked well, didn't they?  I'm not in favor of alcohol being sold in every store in the state, but Pennsylvania's laws clearly need updating.  For years, there's been too much bowing to the special interests and not enough of listening to the people.  A recent survey shows the vast majority, vast, favor getting the state out of the liquor business.

I have to say that in the general scheme of things, the storm wasn't that big of a deal.  It fell on a holiday weekend, when not much else was going on.  Therefore, the networks and the cable "news" channels jumped all over it like it had never snowed before.

Steve Landesberg died a couple weeks ago.  While he is most famous for playing Det. Arthur Dietrich on Barney Miller, Landesberg was an extremely funny stand up comedian.  He was great with voices and accents.  Do a You Tube search, and you can find some old stuff, including a Mike Douglas Show appearance.

Do you think President Obama's support of a dog killer is a wise move?

A couple cities here in our area had a round of December violence.  Once again, those in charge trotted out the standard and tired line-- that these were not random acts.  Sorry.  It doesn't make me feel any better.

There was a year in review/look ahead to the 2012 presidential race panel discusion on MSNBC the other morning.  Holy cow!  Those folks are in love with the word "paradigm."

I know you have to send them to receive them, but this was a very weak year for Christmas cards.  I read where Facebook is killing the greeting card business.  It's still not enough enticement for me to establish a Facebook page.

CNN must be in rough shape.  It keeps hiring Kathy Griffin for New Year's Eve work.   You can't tell me there aren't more talented people out there.  I read where Griffin behaved her self this year, and that's a first.

Hugh Hefner, 84, anounced his engagement to a 24 year old former Playmate of the Month.  I've read about the outrage.  Hey, if they're happy, I'm happy.

Ex coaches Bill Cowher and Brian Billick have turned into talented broadcasters.  Billick is especially good on the NFL Network, where he has time to talk.

I still haven't found a cell phone that I like.

This year's schedule of bowl games is boring me.