Monday, January 31, 2011

What Happened?

I consider myself a well read individual who is up on current events.  First, it's fun.  Second, it's my job.

I work with a room full of people who also consider themselves to be news junkies.

So, why did the Egypt unrest hit like a bolt from the blue?

I'm sure the U.S. government had intelligence there was trouble brewing.  The rest of us were in the dark.

I know why.  The networks and major newspapers have just about eliminated their foreign bureaus.  No bureau.  No news.

I also know we're in an era of doing more with less.  The old saying goes "If it don't pay, it don't stay."

Before you get on my case, I will admit that all of us can do a better job of covering our community on the local level.

You know this is all about money.  You cannot argue that Egypt is not an important story.  That nation is a friendly and stable ally in an unstable and unfriendly part of the world, at least as far as the USA is concerned.

Broadcasting and publishing are businesses, but they carry with them a great responsibility.  Sorry to say, but they really dropped the ball on this one.