Friday, October 5, 2012

Back to the Future

I remember it being one of my prized possessions as a wee tot-- a Schaefer 500 tee shirt.  All kids love cars, and I thought it was neat that such a huge event was right here in our own backyard.

Way back then, stock car racing was basically a southern thing.  Open wheeled cars ruled the roost.

Times changed.  The people who ran the Indy car leagues fought among themselves.  NASCAR came on strong, doing it bigger and better, developing personalities, and establishing a huge fan base.

I think the average person on the street can name a few NASCAR drivers.  Indy cars?  I don't think so.

Let's hope that comes to an end.  Indy cars are coming back to Pocono after a very long absence.

I never really understood the Pocono business model-- a huge piece of real estate, on a two lane road, that's only in use a few weekends a year.  Another race means more money being pumped into the area, and who can argue with that.

Welcome back.  All I need is a new tee shirt.