Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Two Weeks

The primary election, also knows as the municipal election is two weeks from today, and you can tell that we're in the home stretch.  Yard signs are everywhere.  Television commercials are beginning to appear.  There are knocks on the front door and literature in the mailbox.

I admittedly have a Lackawanna County bias, because that's where I live.  This election is a big one around here.  There are ballot questions on changing the form of government and eliminating row offices.  As I have noted here before, I do not belong to any political party, but I can vote on referenda, and I intend to do just that.  I have never missed voting in an election where I've been eligible.

I'm fond of saying every election is important, and that still goes for a municipal primary.  You're voting for local offices-- the county officials, the council people, the mayors, and the school directors.  They are the people who really affect your life.

There are also candidates for the court of common pleas in some counties here in our area.  I had to chuckle.  I saw some television commercials where judicial candidates fake being in the courtroom.  They're okay with phony courtroom footage, but Pennsylvania remains in the dark ages when it comes to the real thing.

The polls open 7 AM May 21st.  I'll see you there.