Saturday, April 8, 2017

Andy's Angles: Biscuits


I'm always tickled when old buildings get a new use and a new life.  I do realize that it's not always feasible. 

The Hitchner Biscuit Company bakery in West Pittston is one of the success stories.  The building is now 18 apartments for the elderly and the handicapped.  WNEP's Jim Murdoch did the story when the building was dedicated, and I was jealous.  I would have loved to get a good look at the inside.

 You'd really love to see more of this.  I've put North Scranton Junior High in this space before.  That building is also apartments, plus a theater.

It would have been nice to see Lackawanna Avenue in Scranton in Scranton fixed up rather than imploded.  Unfortunately, the money wasn't there.  No one was stepping up to do it, and some of those buildings were beyond repair.
They even repainted the signs on the building, a perfect touch.