Friday, March 15, 2013

Pope

 I've read a lot about Pope Francis, and his selection seems to make sense on a lot of levels.

The only thing that gives me pause is the new pope's age:  76.  All of the front runners were elderly, or close to it.  The cardinal from Argentina was at the upper end of that spectrum.  It would be advantageous to have some stability at the top, but, on the other hand, popes come and go.  The institution endures.

It seems like a lot of people are looking to the new pope for reforms.  I'm never convinced that's the right thing to do.  I know you increase spending by cutting taxes.  Does the Church increase involvement by cutting requirements and standards?

Regardless of whether you buy in to what the Catholic Church stands for, I thought a lot of the papal selection coverage, on all levels, was trivial, silly and downright disrespectful.

While "habemus papam" is my favorite moment of the process, the enduring image in my memory will be Benedict's helicopter flying over the Colosseum back on February 28th.

Consider this, the pope has to be a spiritual leader, the chief executive officer of a multi billion dollar corporation, and a public relations genius.  John Paul II was the best, during my time, at p.r., but a lot of bad things happened on his watch.

Benedict XVI was said to be a great scholar and theologian.  I found him a bit lacking in the charisma department, but then again, JPII was a tough act to follow.  At least in these early hours, Francis seems to be doing OK in the charisma department.

First, be a leader and the rest should fall in to place.