Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I Never Thought I'd See the Day, Part II

I never thought Governor Corbett's plan to get the state out of the liquor business had a prayer, but it looks like I'm wrong.

A bill passed the house Thursday night.  It now goes on to the senate.  They'll make some changes, send it back to the house.  It's then on to the governor's desk, assuming things go Corbett's way.

I rarely visit state stores, but when I am there, I find them to be clean and well run.  The hours do leave a bit to be desired.

There are those who think we can do better.  There are those who think Pennsylvania should not be in the liquor business.  By the way, the newspapers are really pushing this-- hoping for a huge and potentially life saving boost in advertising from all those new liquor and beer stores.

I'm not a major purchaser of beer, wine and spirits, so I' m having trouble conjuring up excitement for either side. 

Other states seem to be doing OK, and there doesn't seem to be much of a reason you can't buy beer at a supermarket.

It's a shame that a lot of state employees will lose their jobs. 

There are winners and losers in every scenario.