Monday, September 21, 2015

BOTY and Unsolicited Advice


After nearly eleven years of blogging, I finally won something.

This blog was awarded "Blog of the Year" in the news and politics category.  The announcement was made at BlogCon at East Stroudsburg University September 12.

Thanks to the BlogCon organizers and all those who voted.  I greatly appreciate it.

I was asked to be on a BlogCon panel a few years ago, but I declined.  I really don't have much to say about the activity.  It can be summed up in a few sentences.

The big one first:  If you're going to have a blog, update it.  You don't have to do it every day.  We have so many talented bloggers in the area.  You can find the list here.  It's frustrating when you have to wait several days, even weeks, between updates.

Second, don't be part of the CTRL A-C-V crowd.  Tell me what YOU think, what YOU feel, what YOU'VE learned.  If you're going to show photos, tell me where it is, how to get there, and why it interests you.

Third, a blog isn't journalism, but you should employ some basic journalistic principles.  Source your material, even if its a news release.   Be polite.  Be fair.  Be honest.  Thou shalt not take credit for the work of another.  If you have a connection to the person or topic you're writing about, remember FULL DISCLOSURE.

Don't rip off other people.  You have no idea how maddening it is when my photos show up somewhere else.  I'm more than willing to share, but ask first, and then list me as a credit when you use the shot.  My Toni the elephant picture from the Nay Aug Park Zoo in Scranton, back in the mid 80's, is all over  the internet.  No one ever asked if they could use it. 

That's about it.  If you have a blog, keep it fresh.  If you're considering starting one, I recommend it.  It's great fun and a nice creative outlet.  Plus, it's a wonderful hobby because it doesn't cost anything.

Be well.  Good luck, and I'll meet you back here tomorrow.