Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Shield Me

Let's talk about the Shield Law for a moment.

The grand jury investigating the Kathleen Kane debacle recommends weakening it.

That's a bad idea.  A bad, bad idea.

The Shield Law protects journalists from revealing sources.  Therefore, it protects whistleblowers.  Whistleblowers let journalists know when there's something wrong in the system, be it government or private industry.

If this information is revealed secretly, it's obviously the source fears reprisal. 

If I reveal a source, no one will trust me ever again.  I'm essentially putting myself out of business and doing great harm to my employer.  No one should ever be forced to do that.

A free press is essential to a functioning and responsive democracy.  A free press is vital to an informed electorate.

Keep the Shield Law as strong as possible.  You might not be a journalist, but you still benefit from it.