Friday, September 2, 2016

It Wasn't My Idea

I was one of the last at WNEP without a Facebook page.  That changed Monday morning.


I have this blog, which I love dearly.  Plus, I'm on Twitter and LinkedIn.  I gave up on SnapChat and Instagram, through I may return one day.


I thought I could get away without Facebook.


During a meeting with a manager this week, it was suggested I climb on board with Facebook.  I relented.  My boss made a strong case.  It's a way to connect with the audience, get story ideas, promote the product, have a little fun, etc.  If that wasn't enough, he is the boss.


The internet in general and Facebook in particular can be places where anonymous trolls spew hate.  I really didn't want to be a part of that.  However, you do have to take the good with the bad, and people have been overwhelmingly nice, so far.

I'm not one of those people who constantly looks to see if I'm trending, or what stories are getting "hits."  That type of validation doesn't interest me.  We have research and web people who take care of that.  I simply come to work every day and do the very best job I can.  The rest takes care of itself.  It's a philosophy that works amazingly well.

I will admit that nearly 1,000 "likes" in less than a week was rather nice.  Joe Snedeker and Mindi Ramsey are responsible for that.


If you have a question or a comment, look me up.  Remember, civility rules.  The blog will remain, and we'll see how it goes.