Thursday, November 12, 2009

Memory 1

If everything goes as expected, I plan to bore you with two days of memories this week and a couple more in the weeks ahead.

The first is a major hoot, and it requires a bit of a set up.

One of our fine staffers, Stacey, is working on a project I can't tell you a lot about at this time.  She had the opportunity to go through the photo collection of a late advertising agency executive.

I was doing what I do best Saturday morning after our broadcast-- annoying other people.  I asked Stacey if I could see the photographs.  She replied that I could help by identifying some of the individuals.


I nearly fell off the chair when I opened one of the envelopes and glanced at one of the first photos.  The guy in the beige coat is me.  October 1992.  More hair.  Dark hair.  I was with WYOU at the time, and being a nice guy, I was holding a WBRE microphone, in addition to my own.  WBRE didn't have a photographer on duty at the time.  Little did I know that I'd start working for WBRE in 1996.

The WYOU photographer in the blue jacket is the legendary John Shema, who's been with me at WNEP for the past ten years.

Barbara Barr is holding the WNEP microphone.

We're talking with Bill Fieseler of Fieseler Signs.

Another one of my current co-workers, Lindsay, didn't make me feel any better when she said she was five years old when these photos were taken.


It was early on a Sunday morning.  Many downtown Wilkes-Barre streets were closed because a helicopter was lowering the new Mellon Bank sign into place, atop the building at South Franklin and West Market Streets.


Mellon had purchased United Penn Bank, and with the purchase came the sign change.

You never know what you're going to find when you open a box of old photographs.