Thursday, January 18, 2018

SkunkWatch

I think this is the earliest I've ever written my yearly skunk blog entry.

To quickly get you up to speed, most people think seeing a robin is a sign of spring.  No way!  for me, it's the aroma of a skunk that signals warmer weather is on the way.

I was getting out of my car last Tuesday morning, 5 o'clock, after a gym visit, when the aroma hit me like a brick.  There was a skunk in my hard.  I couldn't see him, but I knew he or she was there.

You see, in the spring, skunks that had been inactive during the winter get hungry and start looking for love.  My yard happened to be ground zero on this particular morning-- and this was BEFORE the record warm spell.

I do realize that it's possible the approaching warm air threw off the skunky calendar, but I'm not so sure.  We're in for an early spring.

We'll see what the ground hog has to say next month.