Friday, June 7, 2024

45

 

I graduated from high school 45 years ago tomorrow, or rather tomorrow evening.  It was an evening ceremony in a blazingly hot, old school, without air conditioning.  I remember receiving my diploma as early summer thunderstorms gathered outside.

I do recall it was dry enough for a walk home from the school.  I needed to unwind, and I thought the walk, only a few minutes, would do me good.  Strangely enough, I still walk when troubled, and I've really been totaling up the miles lately.

What did I do when I arrived home?  Friends wanted to go out.  I passed.  My parents wanted to take me out.  I passed.  I watched a baseball game on television, and worried about tomorrow.  Strangely enough, again, I still worry about tomorrows.

The photo you see above usually appears here on high school graduation anniversaries, at least the ones on "the 5's."  My best friend, Dave Jones, took it.  That's Vinnie Kovack behind me.  Great guy.  I haven't spoken with Vinnie in decades.  I'm still in touch with a few people from back in the day.  Even though high school was a soul crushing, horrible experience, it is good to hear their voices.

It doesn't seem like it's been 45 years.