Thursday, June 27, 2024

Outside the Box

 

I'm big on broadcast history, and a recent anniversary escaped me.  I'm sorry.

The "score box" on sporting events made its debut on June 17th of 1994, thirty years ago.  Most people credit FOX Sports and its NFL coverage as the originator.  It is not.  The box actually made its debut during ABC/ESPN coverage of World Cup soccer.  I didn't see it because, and I'm sorry, soccer bores me to tears.

I do remember seeing it on that first Sunday of the NFL on FOX, and I thought it was simply fantastic.  NBC was the last network to adopt the score box, fearing fans would tune away quickly if they could drop in any time and see the numbers.  The concern was unwarranted.  People became big fans.

Sadly, there is too much of a good thing.  Yes, I know television is in high definition now.  Screens are bigger and wider.  Graphics have become too annoying, too big, cluttering the screen.

While the score box was a great invention, there is an even better one-- an invention that far predates the score box.  It's called the "off" switch.