Wednesday, July 3, 2024

So Long, CSU 1932-2024

 

It's long been established here that I didn't like high school, but I did enjoy college.  That's why I've always kept an eye on the higher education system in our area, the good and bad.  Visits to campuses always make me happy, if it's to do a news story, or simply wander and take photographs.  We have some great schools here in our area, especially my alma mater, Marywood.

The news that broke Monday afternoon was disturbing.  Clarks Summit University, formerly Baptist Bible College, is closing.  Money problems.

I was there a few times over the years.  Once was for a summer fluff story on a basketball camp.  The other occasions were to take in the beauty of the campus.  Believe, me, the pictures don't to it justice.  There is a lot of grass and trees.  The buildings scream "history."
The students will find new places to learn.  I hope the campus is put to good use.  It seems like a great place for apartments or a retirement village.  I hope the buildings aren't bulldozed to make room for one of those generic looking housing communities.

I'm sad because our area lost a treasured institution, but it's 2024 and the finances just didn't add up.