Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Carded!

The sign greeted me as I walked in to one of my favorite supermarkets.  Its shoppers club will continue, but the chain is phasing out the cards and key tags.  You will now enter your phone number on a little key pad at the register.

I'll miss the little chime that sounded when the electronic reader recognized the card.  On the other hand it is more convenient.

Problem:  I signed up for the shopper's club many years ago, and I didn't remember the phone number I used.

My most recent visit was at 4 AM, and there was no one in line behind me.  I asked the polite and patient cashier if I could try the phone number thing, explaining that I've had a lot of phone numbers over the years.

First try:  nothing.

I nailed it on the second!  I was amazed.

I would anticipate every chain will be going in the plastic-less direction in the months to come.