Thursday, September 29, 2011

Media Notes

Andy Rooney hangs it up as a regulat "60 Minutes" contributor Sunday night.  He's been at it for 33 years, an amazing run.  In fact, Rooney is an amazing guy.  Read about his background, and you'll be impressed.

You have to read Harry Reasoner's autobiography, called "Before the Colors Fade."  Rooney's one shortcoming, according to Reasoner, was he never could figure out how to end a piece.

Yesterday, I mentioned how I'm currently fascinated with "Restaurant Impossible" on the Food Network.  I can't figure it out.  Robert Irvine is the kind of loud mouthed bully I hate.  Every episode is the same:  Irvine yells at the owners.  They cry.  He yells at the staff.  They cry.  He fixes the restaurant.  The owners cry again.  I'm sure I'll tire of it after a while, and I look forward to that day.

I'm a big James Spader fan, so I actually attempted to watch "The Office" the other night.  Big mistake.  The show is still as stunningly unfunny as ever.

Ratings for the CBS Evening News are 11 per cent higher than they were last year at this time.  America just did not take to Katie Couric as a news anchor.