Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Long Ranger

With apologies to my friends in the weather office, I put very little stock in long range winter forecasts.  Weather patterns change every few weeks.  You might be able to spot a trend or two.  Accuracy?  It's just not happening.  I don't blame the meteorologists.  That's just the nature of the beast.  Seven days is about as far as it goes, and those last couple days are just a rough guide.

I noted earlier how the squirrels seemed more active this fall, how their fur was thick and it turned whiter earlier than normal.  That would seem to indicate a harsh winter is ahead.  The squirrels.  They know.

On the other hand, there's a big indicator this winter will be milder than normal.  I bought a new pair of boots a couple weeks ago.  The boots are in a box, in a closet.  They weren't cheap.  People who spend time outside in the winter know the value of a good pair of boots.  With my luck, my investment will remain in the box, and it won't pay off this winter.

I'm okay with that.