Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dress Code

A clothing discussion came up on the air Monday morning, and it required more time than I could devote.  Thankfully, I have the blog so I can expand upon it.

Reporters have to over dress rather than under dress.  We never know if we'll spend hours outside at a fire, waiting on the steps of the courthouse for an alleged criminal, on the streets during a stand-off...

It's tough to concentrate on what you're saying and thinking when you're cold and uncomfortable.  It's as simple as that.

Monday was an unusual day.  Usually the temperature inches up during our 5-9 AM broadcast.  On Monday, it was the other way around.  The wind kicked up and the temperature went down.  Plus, I was in a parking lot, on top of a hill.  In spite of my choice of coats-- a glorified hooded sweatshirt with a nylon outer shell, it was cold.

You have to put things in perspective.  I wasn't in a hole, digging around a broken water main.  I wasn't on top of a utility pole, stringing wires.  I wasn't on a roof, replacing shingles.

Still, cold isn't fun.