Friday, August 26, 2016

I Saw the Light

A community here in our area was recently hit by some mini mart robberies.  At least one was violent, where the clerk was attacked and beaten.

That led one community official to call on mini mart management to install new and brighter LED fixtures.

That's all well and good, but if light was the ultimate solution, there wouldn't be any crime during the daytime.

That leads me to a story...  A weekend anchor I once worked with wrote a story about a "daring daylight bank robbery."  In addition to being a horrible cliche, I called him on one other fact.  Banks aren't open at night.  All bank robberies happen in the daylight.  OK, I'll concede that banks close in the dark during the short daylight months in November, December, and January.

Getting back to the mini marts, I'm sure lighting will help.  Getting rid of the drug problem, and putting more police on the street will go a lot further than a few new light bulbs.