Sunday, December 31, 2017

Top Ten: Demolition

Now, my most unforgettable photo of 2017.

Marywood University started ripping down its old library in May.

My college radio and television stations were in the basement, so I came here on a Friday morning to get a look at the demolition.  It was the first place I was on the radio and the first place I was on television.  Nothing but great memories, even though I can recall that terror filled moment when I cracked open the microphone for the first time.  It looks so easy.  It isn't.

By the way, the demolition crew recognized me and presented me with a brick-- which I cherish.  I have to admit, I teared up a bit when I got home.  I met some great people here, and started learning my craft.  It was the last building I set foot in after receiving my diploma.  There was a short visit to say good bye after the graduation ceremony.

While is was exceptionally sad to watch the building hacked to death, it had outlived its usefulness.  The new radio and TV area, in a different building, is nothing short of spectacular-- even though it's buried where no one can see it.  It also limits the ability for broadcasting students to interact with the college community.

That's it.  That's the list.  Thanks for punching me in for the past year.  With any luck, we'll do it all over again in 2018.