Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Elton Johnny Come Lately

 Y'know, one day, Tito Puente will be dead, and you'll say, "Oh, yes, I've been listening to his work for years."


John Winger uttered that famous line in the movie "Stripes" in 1981.

Thankfully, Elton John is still with us and he is conducting his farewell tour.

John has become the Tito Puente of the 20-somethings, running to the concerts and acting like they are responsible for the man's stellar career.

I take you back to December 1979, and a little radio studio on the campus of Marywood College in Scranton.  A terrified 17 year old was doing his first air shift, and one of the songs he selected that morning was Elton John's "Lucy in the Sky."  For my money, it's just as good as the Beatles' version, if not better.

In case you haven't guessed by now, I was that terrified 17 year old.

As for Elton John, well, I've been listening to his work for years.  I had the 45's and 8 tracks long before the 20-somethings were even thought of.