Monday, March 27, 2017

Let There Be Light

It was inevitable.  The orange glowing streetlight in front of my house has been replaced by one of those LED jobs.

I remember when my childhood neighborhood got the new and brighter street lights.  It meant those evening Frisbee games, and games of catch lasted a little longer because the light was much stronger.  Yes, they gave everything an orange cast, but on the other side of the coin, I loved the brightness.

As noted in this space before, the jury is still out on the LED's.  They are in just about every light and lamp in my home.  Great energy saving, or so they say.  However, I don't think they're bright enough for streetlights.  I've noticed that in some towns, they've added more lights on more poles to compensate.  So far, in my little town, it's just replacements.  No additions.  That should change.