Monday, June 18, 2018

Breakfast Bites

Subway is no longer forcing its franchise holders to open at 7 am and serve breakfast.

While I have been in Subways early, I didn't experiment with the breakfast offerings of wraps and muffins.  I stuck with the subs.

One of the great joys in life is fasting for hours for blood work, having the blood drawn, then heading to Subway to inhale a foot long turkey and Swiss in thirty seconds.  I've done it twice.

As far as Subway breakfast goes, I've never had it.  A company spokesman says people just didn't think of Subway for breakfast.  The New York Post reports Subway is bringing in an outside consultant to professionalize operations, turn around slumping sales, and possible prime the company for a sale.

I don't think Subway is a bad place.  However, in a crowded industry, it just isn't special.  It seems to be a place you have to go for a quick bite, not a destination because you like the food.

Someone from Wendy's  tweeted snarky things about IHOP after the company announced a burger promotion, and a temporary name change to IHOB.  I was waiting for someone from IHOP to respond that Wendy's tried national breakfast roll outs twice-- and failed both times.

Burger King called itself Pancake King for a day.  This is the same chain that changes its french fries every few years because it still can't get it right.  BK still produces a good burger.

IHOP could have fired back.  It didn't.  I guess management was too busy watching all the free TV  it received for the name change hysteria.

Starbucks recently announced a price increase.  Moot point for me.  I never drink coffee.  At Starbucks and other high end coffee places, you're not paying for the beans.  You are paying for workers, rent, advertising, marketing, etc.  I am constantly amazed at the drive through lines at McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts on a weekday morning.  People love the stuff.

Bottom line:  food is a cutthroat business.