Tuesday, June 12, 2018

You Talk Too Much

A coworker and I were thinking about it the other day.  Now that Tom Snyder has retired and passed, now that Charlie Rose has self destructed, now that the Bob Costas hosted "Later" on NBC is a distant memory, now that "Nightline" is multi topic...  are there serious, yet entertaining interviews on TV?

I thought of including Larry King in that group, but he mailed in that show for years.  People went on it because they knew they'd have an easy ride.  It was something you watched because there was nothing else you liked at 9 PM.  Piers Morgan wasn't around long enough for me to figure out why that show was such a train wreck.

Yes, there are interviews on C-SPAN and a couple other places.  The hosts are competent, but nothing to make you want to turn a dial.  It seems like there's an opening here, a void that needs to be filled.

Yes, David Letterman has a well received interview show on Netflix.  I love Dave, but not enough to pay to watch him.

In a similar vein, when I was a kid, teen, and even a young man, there was a big number of local DJ's/radio personalities to look up to, to emulate, to admire.  Who do young people use for inspiration these days?  There are exceptions.  In the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area, we have The Prospector, Frankie Warren, Doc Medek, Rocky and Lissa, Jeff and Amanda.  Gary Chrisman is THE brand in Williamsport.  I'm sure I'm leaving out a few others, and I apologize.  There is some great local talent out there.  I wish there was more.