Tuesday, July 17, 2018

All Star Night

The Major League Baseball All Star Game was one of my summer highlights.

It hasn't been that way in years.

The reason:  TV.

The All Star Game used to be the place to see players from west coast teams, guys we rarely saw.  This is Phillies and Yankees territory.  Seeing a Royal, Astro, Giant, Padre or Angel was a treat.

Now, if you pay for it, you can see every game, every night.  I don't, but I regularly watch the MLB Network morning highlight program, which is one of the better sports TV shows.

All Star ratings have dwindled over the years.  I get that.  More stations, more choice, more competition.  We've become an NFL nation.

Thankfully, that gimmick of winning league getting World Series home field advantage is over.  bad move to start it.  Better move in getting rid of it.

There is a yearly situation and I will use Washington's Bryce Harper as an example.  Big name.  Great hitter.  Fans want to see him.  Unfortunately, Harper is having an awful 2018.  I'm inclined to say Harper is a fan favorite, it's the fans' game, so he should be on the team.  On the other hand, if a weak hitting Harper is on the All Star team, it denies someone else a shot.

Will I watch tonight?  Maybe.  If I'm up and around a television.  If not, I'll catch the highlights tomorrow morning.