Tuesday, November 27, 2018

First Person: Resort Fire

It's been a while since I've done one of these.

My Monday morning assignment was a follow up to the massive fire that destroyed the main building at what used to be the Mountain Manor resort, in Smithfield Township, near Marshalls Creek.

Photographer Greg did most of the heavy lifting-- getting great video of the mass of flames, and an interview with the fire chief.  All I had to do was put it together and high tail it to Monroe County with photographer Jason.  Because I'm the first morning reporter to arrive, I usually get sent the longest distance.  Sarah Buynovsky did deer season, and I had the fire.  It made for an informative edition of Newswatch 16 This Morning.

 It was frustrating.  These late sunrises make it tough for photography.  The building was still burning, so it made for some interesting television.  I managed to snap off a few photos after the sun came up.
It was sad.  This must have been an outstanding place at one time, but its time had passed.  Mountain manor was an abandoned eyesore.  From looking at the other buildings, it's clear it's a hangout for vandals and vagrants.
The only things left standing were the fireplace and the chimney.

This was my second Monroe County resort fire of the year.  Sad to say, the county is dotted with these places.  No one was hurt-- this time.  They are tragedies waiting to happen.