Thursday, June 15, 2023

Black & White

 

I don't print a lot at home.  There isn't much need.  I did have to get some documents in order the other day, and imagine my frustration when my black ink tank ran out!

My printer is several years old, and it works great.  Scans too.  It also has the ability to scan items directly on to a flash drive for portability, and that is a great function.  It saved a lot of room when I smuggled top secret documents out of WNEP.  Ooops!  I wasn't supposed to say that!

I can also print photos, but if I do need them printed, it's easier, faster, and less expensive to email them to the drug store, and have them do it.  I should add that the store I regularly use is fast and the low prices are amazing.

Having established all of that, I looked in to the guts of my printer to get the model number for the cartridge I need, and I spied the color cartridges in there that never get used.  Translation:  a waste of money.

So, that set off an internet search for a simple,  black and white model.  It was an eye opener.  They were more expensive than color printers, and they were missing some of the features I liked.  Here is the reason.  Those black and white printers are geared toward businesses, not the home computer geek who needs things printed only once in a while.

The bottom line is I'll shell out more money for cartridges for the existing printer, and hope some company has the common sense to develop a simple black and white printer geared toward the home market.