Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Summer

 

Tomorrow is the first day of summer.

Now, the words I never thought I'd say.  I'll take winter over summer.

When you work overnights, heat, light, noise from lawn mowers and leaf blowers are not your friends.  Winter is much quieter and darker-- making it easier to sleep.

Summer does have one major thing going for it-- no snow and ice, leading to dangerous travel.

Tomorrow is the day when we receive the most daylight.  After a few stable days, we start losing a little every day.  As a kid, that always blew my mind.  School just ended.  Warm weather is finally consistent-- and the days are getting shorter.

As for now, I have my dark curtains.  I have my air conditioner.  I have my melatonin.  I have my calendar, where I am counting down the days until fall.